In early January 2012, CSA will release a second version of CSA Z462, Workplace Electrical Safety. It contains practices that would enable workers to work safely around electrical equipment as it is being installed, operated and maintained.
The second version has been extensively revised and updated, with expanded criteria and guidance material. It also reflects changes and revisions to the 2012 edition of the Canadian Electrical Code Part I, also scheduled for release in January 2012.
Appearing in the 2nd edition of Z462 are
- advice on establishing electrical safety programs and integrating them into OHS management systems
- best safety practices for work on and around electrical equipment
- guidance on due diligence in preventing electrical injuries
- methods for identifying electrical hazards and assessing risk
- targets for electrical hazard awareness and training for workers
Important changes to the new edition include:
- improved direction on hazard identification and risk assessment
- new safety procedures and assessment tables for work around DC systems
- new tables for selecting personal protective equipment
- added guidance on safe procedures and training
- new annexes on safety around high-voltage systems and electrostatic discharges
- expanded annexes and reference materials on safety management systems, hazard identification, and risk assessment
Learn more about CSA Z462, Workplace Electrical Safety.
How we can help
1. Check out Health & Safety Ontario’s electrical safety resources
2. Sign up for these courses:
3. Talk to a WSPS consultant.